Sambal Hae Bee With Sticky Rice On Betel Leaves
Try this asian inspired canapes recipe by Diana Chan, winner of Master Chef Australia 2017
Serves: 20 pax
You Will Need
Sticky Rice Ingredients :
Medium grain rice, 1 cup
Water, 2 cups
Pinch of salt
Sambal Hae Bee Ingredients (makes 1 cup):
Dried Baby Shrimp, 250g (soaked for 15 minutes)
Long Red Chilies, 5
Dried Chilies, A handful (deseeded optional and soaked for 15 minutes)
Garlic, 6 cloves (peeled)
Shallots, 4 (peeled)
Lemongrass stalk, 1 (white part only, roughly chopped), keep the tops (bruised)
Fresh Tumeric, 1/2 inch (alternatively a teaspoon of ground tumeric)
Shrimp Paste, 1/2 inch (lightly toasted)
Galangal, 1/2 inch (roughly chopped)
Kaffir Lime Leaves, 10 (julienned)
Vegetable Oil (for frying)
Salt To taste
Betel Leaves Ingredients :
Betel leaves, 20
Water, 12 cups
Sticky Rice Cooking Steps:
1. Rinse the rice under cold water and soak the rice for at least half an hour.
2. Once the rice has been soaked, drain and place it into a rice cover and cover with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt.
3. Cook and once done, loosen with a fork.
4. Alternatively, if you do not have a rice cooker, cook in a pot over the stove on medium heat for 20 mins and cover, then leave it on the stove for another 10 when done.
Sambal Hae Bee Cooking Steps:
1. Drain and blitz the baby shrimps that has been soaking in a food processor until it resembles fine threads.
2. Blitz the rest of the ingredients apart from the kaffir lime leaves into a fine paste and set aside. If too dry add some water in the food processor.
3. Heat the oil up in a wok and the bruised tops of the lemongrass in and fry.
4. Add in the sambal paste into the wok and fry until fragrant.
5. Add in dried baby shrimps and fry until the mixture is dry and resembles coarse breadcrumbs. This should take about 15-20 mins.
6. Add in sugar and a pinch of a salt.
7. Add in the kaffir lime leaves and stir for another 2 mins.
8. Turn the heat off and allow to cool.
9. Serve with some chopped fresh coriander, roasted peanuts, lime wedges or crispy fried shallots as garnish.
Betel Leaves Cooking Steps:
1. Mix the sugar into the water and let it dissolve.
2. Soak the betel leaves in the sugared water for approximately 5 mins just before serving.
3. Drain on paper towels and serve with the rest of the ingredients.
1. Place a pinch of sticky rice on a betel leaf.
2. Add a tsp of the sambal hae bee on top.
3. Top with some garnishes and pop it straight into your mouth.