LAP MEI FAN (Wax Meat Rice)
It’s called “waxed” meat because of it’s curing process which is done in the cold dry wintry air and sun during La-Yue 腊月, the 12th month of lunar calendar. It’s always a welcome dish for Chinese New Year!
You Will Need
Jasmine white rice , 2 cups
Waxed Sausage “Lap Cheong” , 2 nos
Waxed Liver Sausage “Yuen Cheong”, 2 nos
Waxed Duck Thigh “Lap Ngap”, 1 piece
Oyster Sauce, 1 tbsp
Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp
Chinese Rice Wine, 2 tbs
Oil, As needed
1. Heat up a pot of water and blanch the Chinese sausages, liver sausages, and duck thigh for a few minutes
2. Chop into small pieces. Heat up some oil in a pan and sauté each ingredient separately until fragrant.
3. Wash the rice and place in the claypot with water. Let it boil for about 10-15 minutes. Arrange the pre-saute meat pieces on the rice. Let it cook until the rice is fully cooked through.
4. While the claypot is still hot, drizzle over the Chinese rice wine and close the lid of the claypot
5. In a sepearte pot, heat up the soy sauce, oyster sauce with additional rice wine and some water.
6. Drizzle over the hot rice before serving.