PULLED DUCK RENDANG GYOZA
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 1 Hour | Cooking Time: 3 Hours
You Will Need
Pulled Duck Rendang
- 1 kg duck breast, cut into small chunks
- 6 nos red onion, peeled
- 3 bulbs garlic, peeled
- 4 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 3 cm ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 inches galangal, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ inch turmeric, peeled
- 7 nos bird’s eye chilies
- 3 cups fresh coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon gula Melaka
- 1 leaf turmeric leaf, knotted
- 5 leaves kaffir lime leaf
- 3 nos asam keping / tamarind pieces
- 1 tablespoon kerisik / toasted desiccated coconut
- 1 -2 cups vegetable oil
- Salt as needed
Chopped spring onion, for garnishing
1. Blend red onions, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, galangal, turmeric and bird’s eye chilies until fine.
2. Heat oil in a pot. Sauté the blended ingredients until fragrant and thick for about 30 minutes. Be sure to constantly stir the paste to avoid it from sticking at the bottom of the pot.
3. Add in duck breast, turmeric leaf, kaffir lime leaves and asam Keping. Stir well.
4. Stir in coconut milk and water. Season with salt and gula Melaka.
5. Simmer for 3-4 hours, until the meat is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Leave to cool and once cooled, shred the meat.
6. Take 1 teaspoon of the filling and place at the center of gyoza skin and seal.
7. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil on a non-stick pan. Place the bottom of gyoza on the pan and let it brown and crisp for 3 minutes. Add a dash of water and cover the pan. Once the water has completely evaporated, remove gyoza from the pan. Garnish with chopped spring onion and serve warm.
8. To make the dipping sauce, combine soy sauce, white distilled vinegar and few dashes of sesame oil if desired.
Share The Love